Sunday, October 1, 2017

Week Two: Getting Started

Objectives:

  • Design the little library structure
  • Cut the building pieces
  • Glue together the pieces
First part of the process was drawing out the design, figuring out measurements, and obtaining the materials. The design was harder than I thought it would be. I am planning to make a very unusual little library.


Each extra miniature house has its own problems. The main concern being support structure, and secondly how they would all fit together. I have a plan at least. In a couple of weeks I will find out how much I need to adjust it.

I was frustrated trying to put the design to paper. I did not want to spend time learning a design program. I felt that this would eat up a lot of my time that I could be spending building. Figuring out software programs is a slow process for me. Sometime in the future, I would like to learn a design program. I think it would make this step less stressful in the future.

For now, my drawings will do. I watched some YouTube videos about basic building of a house-like structure. This information relieved some of the pressure I was feeling. It reassured me that I would be able to accomplish the project it I pay attention to the details.

Second part this week was preparing the pieces for the main structure. It was fun to try out the power tools. Some I was better at than others. The circular saw was intimidating, but I got the hang of it. Using the drill to create large holes was fun too. I have only ever used a drill to make some small holes. It gave me all kinds of ideas for future projects. I had trouble with the jigsaw. I could not get it to cut through all the way straight. At first I thought I was holding it wrong. Then I thought the blade was bent. A new blade gave me the same results. I looked up how to insert the blade in case I was putting it in wrong. I still have not figured it out. I was excited to use the jigsaw, as it has many possibilities. I'm disappointed that I can't use it properly. Yet.

The absolute worst is sawdust. I will not be quitting my day job to become a carpenter. I know I will have to do more cutting for my small house, and I am not looking forward to it.

What I really learned this week was making time for breaks to document and research. It is tempting to keep going, but by stopping to document and do some research, my work becomes more precise. I get sloppy when I'm tired and inpatient.

Update: I totally cut the wrong measurements for the sides and need to cut new ones. I got nearly half put together at least, but forgot to take a photo. I'll get to talk about failure next week!


Here I am using the circular saw
Pieces cut, including those sides that are wrong. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Week Six: Project Finale