Saturday, September 23, 2017

Week One - Making Expectations & Goals

Making: Expectations and Goals

Over the next six weeks, I will be making a little library from mostly scrap materials and borrowed tools. My inspiration in the Weasley's home, "the Burrow," from the Harry Potter book series. 


After building a basic house, I want to add on at least one more story. A big part of the Burrow is the garden. A flower box attached is another addition I intend to build. I want each piece to reflect the oddity and magic of wizards. 

This project will add to my woodworking skills. Previously I have worked only with basic geometric structures, and even then struggled with angles and measurements. Browsing through similar projects, there are many ways to achieve the same results. I will have to learn new techniques and try out which will help me get through problems during the design and building of the library.

I will also be working with new materials and how to combine them: Plexiglas, wood glue, weather-stripping, caulk, oil stain, solar lights, etc


Project Goals


  • Build a basic library structure that can withstand the outdoors
  • Learn new techniques for woodworking
  • Use creativity to turn a basic library into a whimsical piece
  • Improve soft skills such as patience and problem-solving
  • Regularly document the progress through photos and written blog posts
  • Gain insight on how the experience of making will improve my approach to makerspaces


No comments:

Post a Comment

Week Six: Project Finale