Sunday, October 15, 2017

Week Four: Meeting Goals

Objectives:

  • Catch up from last week
    • Paint inside of the library
    • Cut and attach roof
    • Measure faux house pieces
  • Cut faux house pieces
I accomplished quite a bit this week. I met all the objectives I needed to catch up on from last week and the ones I set for this week.

Starting out, I attached the sides and roof of the house. Before painting, I caulked the corners and used wood filler to cover the screws. Funny moment, while I was caulking


it was giving me a hard time coming out. Then I noticed it had popped in the back and was coming out of the tube that way. I waited for it to dry and covered it with some duct tape. Much easier to caulk afterwards. As for the wood filler, I was scraping it wrong and driving myself nuts. By the time I got through more than half, I had done it enough times to figure it out. After everything was dry and sanded, I painted inside and outside with three coats of exterior paint/primer combined. Measuring and cutting the faux house pieces was a lot of work. It took more time than anything else. Only one problem with the angles being wrong on a wall. Next week I'll get the attached.

At least now I have the main house built. It is satisfying seeing the project start to come together. When everything is in pieces, it's hard to imagine what will truly come out of it.

A friend gave me fun pieces to use on the little library when it's all built. We had a good time picking out possible items to give the library life.




Meeting Beginning Project Goals:


  • Build a basic library structure that can withstand the outdoors

I tested my main structure with water and it was successful.

  • Learn new techniques for woodworking.

I have learned how to use new power tools, how to use new products like caulk, and ways to fit pieces together in a way that creates a sturdy structure.

  • Use creativity to turn a basic library into a whimsical piece.

I have collected a bunch of items to make the little library really fun.

  • Improve soft skills such as patience and problem-solving.

As I am learning, I am getting more comfortable with problem-solving. It is less frustrating and more exciting. I know now that I can and will find a solution.

  • Regularly documenting the progress through photos and written blog posts.

I feel that my blog posts have been thoroughly reflecting my progress. I try to stop and take photos as I go, but sometimes it seems pointless to take a picture of some wood filler!

  • Gain insight on how the experience of making will improve my approach to makerspaces

Making something of this magnitude is harder than I was expecting. For a makerspace, you really need enough physical space and the right tools to accomplish a project.






No comments:

Post a Comment

Week Six: Project Finale